- Medical Director | 1992 - present | Dialysis Clinic, Inc. Albany, Georgia
- Partner | 1992 - present | SWGA Nephrology Clinic, P.C. | Private Practice of Nephrology
Past Academic Rank and Position
- Attending Nephrologist | 1987-1991 | Department of Internal Medicine | Naval Hospital San Diego
- Assistant Clinical Professor | 1987-1991 | Clinical Faculty (non-salaried) | Department of Internal Medicine | University of California San Diego
- Undergraduate: Vanderbilt University | BA cum laude, 1975
- Medical School: University of Miami | M.D., 1981
- Internship: Naval Regional | Medical Center | San Diego, CA 1981-82
- Residency: Naval Hospital | San Diego, CA 1983-85
- Fellowship: University of California San Diego | (Joint Program) and Naval Hospital San Diego, CA 1985-87
- 1981 | National Board of Medical Examiners
- 1985 | American Board of Internal Medicine
- 1987 | American Board of Internal Medicine | Subspecialty Nephrology
- Georgia 34539
- 1983 | U.S. Navy Achievement Medal
- 1991 | U.S. Navy Commendation Medal
- 1985 | Resident Aequanimitas Award
- 1990 | Fellow, American College of Physicians
- Commander, United States Navy
- 1981-82 | Naval Regional Medical Center, San Diego
- 1982-83 | Medical Officer, USS Truxtun CGN35
- 1983-91 | Naval Hospital, San Diego
- 1989 | Scientific Reviewer, Kidney International
INSTITUTIONAL ADMINISTRATIVE ACTIVITIES
- 1987-91 | Divisional Quality Assurance Representative
- 1990-91 | Member, Internal Medicine Quality Assurance Committee
- 1995-96 | Chief of Medicine, Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIP AND SOCIETIES
- 1983-92 | American Medical Association
- 1985- | American College of Physicians
- 1987- | National Kidney Foundation
- 1988- | International Society of Nephrology
- 1998- | Renal Physicians Association
PRESENTATIONS AT NATIONAL MEETINGS
- 1987 | American Society of Nephrology Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C. | Evidence against heteroporosity model of peritoneal transport.
- 1988 | American Society of Nephrology Annual Meetin, San Antonio, Texas. | Anaphylatoxin generation as a function of dialysis membrane type, blood flow rate, and membrane C3 binding.
- 1989 | American Society of Nephrology Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C. | Intra- and interdialytic generation of tumor necrosis factor and interleukin-1 by various dialysis membranes.
- Biocompatibility of artificial membranes
- 1987-91 | Principal investigator, Health Sciences Education and Training Command, U.S. Navy Research Grant 88-16-2327-00
- Bell JL, Leypoldt JK, Frigon RP, Henderson LW: Hydraulically induced convective solute transport across the rabbit peritoneum. Kidney Int 38: 19-27, 1990
- Bell JL, Ward DM: Leukapheresis in hyperleukocytic leukemias. 1990
- Bell JL, Leypoldt JK, Frigon RP, Henderson LW: Heteroporosity model of peritoneal transport is not supported by hydraulically driven convective transport. Kidney Int 33: 243, 1988.
- Bell JL, Henderson LW: Anaphylatoxin mass generated by cuprophane membrane in not influenced by blood flow rate. Kidney Int 35: 240, 1989.
- Bell JL, Henderson LW: Tumor necrosis factor alpha and interleukin-1 beta are highly correlated during acute hemodialysis. Kindey Int 37: 288, 1990.